Sunday, December 23, 2012

32


Tomorrow, I’ll be celebrating another revolution around the sun. At this point in  my life, age IS just a number….and you can ask those closest to me, I often forget exactly how old I am (it’s b/c I was born in ’79…had I been born a week later in ’80, it’d make it much easier  to do the math ;)
Anyway, I usually forget how old I am until I see my age on a race results page. And, I look at it and am like “oh! That’s how old I am!”

This year, I turn 33. It feels really auspicious. I’m continuing on my path from 32, which has overall been a really good year.

In the theme of celebrating, here are 32 highlights from my 32nd year of living (This is a fun activity that I encourage you to do as you’re winding down 2012 think about what your highlights have been personally and professionally)! Look back at your calendar month by month to jog your memory as to some of the significant, or memorable, or happiest things that happened.

1. Wrapping up the test phase for my consulting project on the HealthLead initiative. It was a project on a tight time frame, and it just felt awesome to have it accomplished.
2. First trip to western Florida – even though it was like the ONE cold weekend in FL, it was fun to discover a new place. I LOVE getting away in the early winter!
3. The ABWA Board Retreat in College Station, TX – this was a turning point in my life. I realized how cool it is to be part of a dynamic team, and how each of our unique abilities are important in every regard. I’m lucky to have made special friendships with my board sisters. And, making the decision to continue my leadership journey by running for National Secretary Treasurer.
4. Open barrel tasting season in Napa! It’s like betting on horse racing…with wine! Ahhhh to be back in northern California!
5. Attending the ABWA Eastern Regional Conference in Cary, NC – Invigorating and enlightening! My first time exploring Carolina- I LOVED it!
6. Attending the ABWA Western Regional Conference in Oklahoma City, OK – Fun road trip! Great memories!
7. Attending the ABWA Central Regional Conference in Louisville, KY – I got to go to Churchill Downs! I gave a speech that I felt really proud of. And, I became a connoisseur of bourbon.
8. A journey through Charleston (culinary delights!) and a trip to Turks & Caicos (gorgeous!) to celebrate Eileen and Doug’s wedding.
9. I ran in my 5th consecutive “Dam to Dam” 20K and set a personal record for speed!
10. The “endless summer” kicked off, where I vowed to spend as much time as possible outdoors.
11. I rediscovered the childlike fun of riding a bike.
12. I competed in my first ever duathlon (run, bike, run) and placed 1st in my age division – even winning a pie!
13. Megan’s and Jesse’s wedding = reception in a beautiful barn and reconnecting with grad school and Iowa friends
14. Holly and Corey’s wedding = fun times and catching up with college friends and basking in So. Cal!
15. Spending time with Amy and Paul – I hadn’t seen my sister or brother in law in a year and a half!
16. Successfully launching the HealthLead initiative on a national level; and the feelings of accomplishment from planning and getting to experience the Forum.
17. Spending two weeks in NM house sitting for my parents.
18. Taking classes at my old gym every day during those two weeks.
19. Running my old trails and hiking old paths and immersing myself in my home town.
20. Bonding with and learning about my grandparents.
21. Reconnecting with aunts and uncles.
22. Feeling in the absolute best shape of my life. Appreciating my body, strength, and joi de vivre!
23. Even though it meant Gary was gone for 3 months, I had the opportunity to live on my own for the first time in my life. It was a growth experience.
24. I realized the uplifting power of my friends in Des Moines.
25. Running the Des Moines half marathon and setting another personal record!
26. The ABWA National Conference in Memphis, TN – southern hospitality at its finest!
27. Connecting with new and old ABWA friends. I love being social.
28. Confidently giving a speech to over 500 people.
29. Feeling the camaraderie and support of an amazing group of ABWA women.
30. Exploring Boston – history, food, and an adventure with Super Storm Sandy.
31. Spending a fun weekend in St. Louis with my Mom and taking steps to expand my business.
32. Realizing the immense power in gratitude and appreciation through doing gratitude journaling and affirmations daily.

Thirty two – you’ve been an adventurous year full of growth and new experiences. Cheers to keeping it on a roll and continuing to improve on round 33!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this, Jen. You accomplished so much, it's amazing! I am happy we got to be a part of your year and, as always, we're so proud of you!! Love you, Mom